This entire series of articles is deprecated! Newer ROMs and advanced procedures have replaced (or made obsolete) the information in these articles. This article is retained only for archival purposes.
Please check out our NEWER series of articles on the ViewSonic G-Tablet: https://bishoptec.com/series/gtab-2/
Installing ClockworkMod Recovery (1.1 bootloader)
NOTICE: be certain that you have read the first article: New Guide for Rooting the ViewSonic G-Tablet. Don’t
leave home continue without it!
Continue ONLY if your GTab has the STOCK version 1.1-3588 firmware (bootloader 1.1).
If you have flashed the 1.2-4349 firmware, then you MUST use the ClockworkMod for that version. Go to “ClockworkMod 1.2bl & Honeycomb on GTab.”
- Get it here: http://www.mediafire.com/?dvleg4oatkfxm7w
- Check out the post at http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=844088&highlight=clockworkmod for more Instructions.
2. Connect the USB cable from GTab to Computer
- Click on the Orange Ball in the notifications area of the GTab
- Click on the “USB connected”
- ANSWER: “Activate USB Transfer” & “Activate now”
- If necessary, repeat this step – until the USB connection is recognized
3. Check your computer:
- An Icon should appear on your computer desktop, open it and view the files of the INTERNAL MEMORY of the GTab
- IF a file named “update.zip” and/or a folder named “recovery” exists on the GTab, DELETE IT/THEM.
4. Find where you downloaded the ClockworkMod package (on your computer).
- Inside the zip file will be a folder named “recovery” & a file named “update.zip”
- Copy both the folder & the zip file to the root of the INTERNAL memory (DO NOT copy to a folder & NOT to a removable SD card).
5. On the GTab
- Click on “Deactive USB transfer”
- Disconnect the USB cable
- Power off the GTab – by holding the POWER BUTTON down until a dialog appears – select POWER OFF – and OK.
6. Activate ClockworkMod Recovery on the GTab:
- Hold the Volume plus (+) button and ALSO press the Power button
- Continue holding BOTH buttons until some small text appears in upper left corner of the GTab’s screen.
- Release the buttons and the ClockworkMod Recovery will be installed (you may not see any activity).
- When the GTab finishes with the installation, it will boot into the normal operation.
- Power off the GTab.
7. Create Backup With ClockworkMod:
- Hold the Volume plus (+) button and ALSO press the Power button & continue holding BOTH buttons until the small text appears in upper left corner of the GTab’s screen.
- Release the buttons and the ClockworkMod (CM) Recovery will be activated.
- Once the GTab boots into the CM Recovery, a TEXT menu of options will be displayed on the upper left side of the GTab display.
- Use the volume +/- buttons to move up or down in the list of menu items, click on the home button (or the Power Button) to select an item. Finally, use the back arrow to go back to the previous menu.
- From the CM menu, select “BACKUP & Restore” — then “Backup” & allow CW to complete the backup process.
- Go back to the main menu
8. Clear Data:
- On the Main CM Menu, select “Wipe data/factory reset
- Select “Yes — delete all user data”
- Select “Wipe cache partition”
- Select “Yes – Wipe Cache”
- Select “Reboot system now”
- The GTab will reboot and return to normal operation.