I already had Jelly Bean on my Nook (see the video above) but I wanted to do a step-by-step guide and include a real time video of the process. Therefore, I started by restoring my Nook to the stock OS before installing Jelly Bean (video for restoring stock).
After the Nook was restored to stock 1.4.2, I connected to my WiFi, signed in to my Google account and allowed the device to go to sleep. At that time, the device downloaded the Over The Air (OTA) update to 1.4.3. After a few minutes it rebooted its self and when I checked, it was upgraded. (You can quickly see the update as a small green “n” in the area next to the clock at the bottom of the screen.)
Jelly Bean & Root for Nook Tablet 1.4.3
The process for rooting is exactly the same for B&N v.1.4.3 as for previous versions of the Nook OS. See our previous article here for instructions on building the bootable (CWM) card.
- Power the Nook off entirely.
- Insert a bootable SDCard (with ClockWorkMod recovery) into the Nook Tablet.
- Boot into recovery: Hold the “n” (Nook) button while pressing the power button. Continue to hold both buttons until the Nook displays a picture of a cardboard box. Then let go of both buttons.
- Switch the SDCard: When the Nook displays the CWM interface, you may remove the CWM card and replace it with a different card that contains custom ROM in zip format. If you wish, you can skip to step 9 to install a newer version of CWM to the internal memory.
- Backup: If you want, this is a good time to backup the existing OS and all data using the CWM backup function.
- Flash the custom ROM to the internal memory of the Nook. Full instructions can be found in our article on CM9 here. Since some versions of CWM (prior to v.6) have problems flashing newer versions of Android, I suggest flashing a copy of CM7b as the first step. The CM7b ROM can be downloaded here. You will also need to flash the Gingerbread version of Google Apps available here.
- Reboot into the new custom ROM. Connect to WiFi and sign in to Android with your Google account.
- Install the Team Win Recovery Project (TWRP) to the internal memory of the Nook using the instructions found here..
- Alternate RECOVERY options: You can now download FLASHABLE versions of either ClockWorkMod (CWM) or Team Win Recovery Project (TWRP). DO NOT USE CWM prior to v.6. Flashable Recoveries:
http://celticstorage.co.uk/cm10/TWRP_v220.127.116.11.emmc.zip – Just flash one of these to the INTERNAL memory just as you would flash a ROM zip. No need to clear or wipe any partitions or caches.
Flash Jelly Bean Android 4.1.1
- Download the JB ROM file (http://celticstorage.co.uk/cm10/sgt7…AL-acclaim.zip
MD5: 5D609685E15C7799FF596A6269F91E66) available from the XDA thread here and the CM10 version of GApps available here. (http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip) Copy both files (in ZIP form) to the external SDCard inserted in the Nook Tablet. Here is a direct link to the 24 Nov CM10 file: http://celticstorage.co.uk/cm10/sgt7-10-20121124-UNOFFICIAL-acclaim.zip
- Boot into TWRP using the instructions in the notice just above.
- Select the “Install” button and locate the ROM file. Then “Add” and locate the GApps file.
- Press the “Order and Flash” button (at bottom) and then assure that the ROM file is on top and the GApps file is second.
- Tic the boxes, at the bottom of the TWRP, to “Wipe cache/dalvik”, “Backup” (optional), and “Wipe data / factory reset”
- Flash: Either slide the button across or touch the “Flash” button (which ever is available).
- Check the onscreen dialogs to assure that the flash is successful (if not, then check the downloaded files and re-download if necesary, then repeat the procedure.)
- When the flash is completed, the NT will reboot (or power off)
- Power on (if required) and continue with the Android setup on your new JELLY BEAN Nook Tablet!
Please leave a comment and tell us how it worked for you.
- Root for Nook Tablet with CWM on SDCard
- Install ClockWorkMod on Nook Tablet (emmc)
- Install TWRP on Nook Tablet (internal 8g/16gb)
- Make an UNBRICK Repartition Image
- Nook Color $135 W/Free Shipping
- Nook Tablet Dual-Boot Tip
- Intro to Rooting & Modding Nook Tablet
- Nook Tablet Restored!
- How to Backup the Nook Tablet
- Dual Boot: ICS (CM9) & Gingerbread (CM7) on Nook Tablet
- How to BRICK a Nook Tablet (8gb)
- JailBreak My Nook Tablet?
- How to UN-Brick a Nook Tablet (8gb or 16gb)
- Jelly Bean & Root for Nook Tablet 1.4.3
- Nook HD Prices slashed!