Here is a VERY simple & easy way to run ADB commands to repair or mod your Android device. *
ADB (Android Device Bridge) is a very powerful tool. If you read the XDA forums supporting your gTab/Fire/Nook/etc, then you will likely see someone suggesting that you issue an ADB command to do something – especially if you are trying to repair or root your device. However, for many users (both on Windows and Linux), setting up to use ADB seems very complicated. This article will show you how to use the “lite” version
- EITHER: Windows computer & a “Live” Ubuntu Flashdrive OR an installed version of Linux
- Download the adb_lite.zip file from here.
- Boot into Linux
- Copy the adb_lite.zip file to your Ubuntu desktop
- Right-click on the file & “Extract here“
- Open the folder that appears
- Mouse over the black line at the top of your screen & click on the “VIEW” link & select “Show Hidden Files“
- In the open adb_lite folder,
- Right-click on the adb file & click on “Properties” (at the bottom of the list); Click on the “Permissions” tab at the top of the dialog; At the bottom, a line shows “Execute: (a box) Allow executing file as program” – tic the box & hit CLOSE – Repeat for the fastboot file
- Copy/move all four files to the “Home” folder (click on “Home” in the left panel; then right-click on “Home” just above the list of files; & “Paste into Folder”)
- Connect your device to the computer via USB cable & turn it on
- In a terminal, issue the command, sudo ./adb devices
- You should see a response that displays a series of numbers & a descriptor that represents your device (see the screenshot at the top of this article)
There is a file in the archive, “adb-dd.txt” that includes some VERY LIMITED help with using ADB. However, I suspect that most users will only use the commands that are suggested by others online. In any case, BE VERY CAREFUL when using ADB. You can damage your device in ways that may be difficult to correct.
As always, we appreciate your comments. Please tell us whether this worked for you and how we can improve the guide.