ClockworkMod 1.2bl & Honeycomb on GTab

Outdated Article! *

This entire series of articles is deprecated! Newer ROMs and advanced procedures have replaced (or made obsolete) the information in these articles. This article is retained only for archival purposes.

Please check out our NEWER series of articles on the ViewSonic G-Tablet: http://bishoptec.com/series/gtab-2/

Installing ClockworkMod Recovery for 1.2 Bootloader *

—— *

NOTICE: Continue ONLY if you have flashed the 1.2-4349 firmware (bootloader 1.2) using our “NVFlash for Dummies” guide.

If you have the STOCK version of 1.2-4349, it still may not work with some of the newer HoneyComb ROMs for the GTab (system partition must be enlarged to hold their larger files)

We STRONGLY urge you to return here & flash our version (created by Roebeet).

If you have the 1.1 version bootloader, then you must use our “NVFlash for Dummies” guide to upgrade to bl1.2 before attempting to flash Honeycomb. Thanks to Roebeet for his work to make all of this stuff work. Visit his forum post to give him your vote of thanks.

The process below will prepare your GTab for flashing any ROM based on the GTab 1.2-branch bootloader.

clockworkmod 1.2bl

ClockworkMod 1.2bl

——————- *

1. Download the ClockworkMod & ROM files *

2. Connect the USB *

• Power on the G-Tablet (if it is not already on)
  • Attach the USB cable from your computer to the GTab
  • Click on the Orange Ball in the notifications area of the GTab
  • Click on the “USB connected
  • ANSWER: “Activate USB Transfer” & “Activate now”
  • If necessary, repeat this step – until the USB connection is recognized

3. Check Your Computer *

• An Icon or a window should appear on your computer desktop, open it and view the files of the INTERNAL MEMORY (14gig) of the GTab.
  • If a file named “update.zip” is on the root “/” of the device, then rename it to updateold.zip.
  • If a folder on the root is named “recovery” then rename it to “recoveryold”.

4. Find Downloaded Files *

• Open the gtab.cwm.??????.rar file.
  • Inside the file will be a folder named “recovery” & a file named “update.zip”
  • Copy both the folder & the update.zip file to the root of the INTERNAL (14gig) memory (DO NOT copy to a folder & do NOT copy to a removable SD card). (Note: If you see a file named “command” then you opened the folder – go back up one level and copy the FOLDER with the file.)

5. On the GTab *

• Click on “Deactive USB transfer
  • Disconnect the USB cable
  • Power off the GTab – by holding the POWER BUTTON down until a dialog appears – select POWER OFF – and OK.

6. Activate ClockworkMod Recovery *

• Hold the Volume plus (+) button and ALSO press the Power button
  • Continue holding BOTH buttons until some small text appears in upper left corner of the GTab’s screen.
  • Release the buttons and the ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery should execute.
  • If the menu is BLUE, then you must select the “Reboot system” and press the POWER button to install CWM Recovery. If the menu is orange, just go to the next point.
  • ORANGE MENU (see the screenshot above) – Once the GTab boots into the CWM Recovery, a TEXT menu of options will be displayed on the upper left side of the GTab display. The bottom line should report “ClockworkMod Recovery v3.0.2.8 (GTAB 1.2 and NI Adam rev5)” (or newer).
  • Use the volume +/- buttons to move up or down in the list of menu items, click on the home button (NOT the power button as with the stock recovery) to select an item. Finally, use the back arrow to go back to the previous menu.

7. Create Backup With ClockworkMod (CWM) (Optional) *

• From the CWM menu, select “BACKUP & Restore” — then “Backup” & allow CWM to complete the backup process.
  • Press the back key to return to the main menu

8. Clear Data (This will delete all data on the device!) *

• On the Main CWM Menu, select “Wipe data/factory reset” & press home to execute
  • Select “Yes — delete all user data”
  • Select “Wipe cache partition
  • Select “Yes – Wipe Cache”
  • Select “advanced” and then “Partition SD Card” & execute (Answer 2048 to the first and 0 to the second option.)
  • Wait until it is finished – this step takes a couple minutes. Press the back key to return to the main CWM menu
  • The following steps may not be absolutely necessary but they are HIGHLY recommended. If you chose NOT to wipe the device, just skip to the “Connect USB” step.
  • Select “mounts and storage” then “format /cache” and execute
  • Select “format /data” and execute
  • Select “format /system” and execute
  • Press the back key to return to the main CWM menu

9. Connect USB *

• Connect the USB cable between the GTab and your computer
  • Select “mount USB storage”

10. Flash the new ROM *

• On your computer, find the ROM file that you downloaded
  • Copy the ROM file (still in ZIP format) to the root of the internal memory (14gig) of the GTab.
  • In ClockworkMod, select “Unmount USB storage” & execute
  • Remove the USB cable from the GTab.
  • Press the back key to return to the main CWM menu
  • Select “install zip from sdcard” & execute.
  • Select “choose zip from sdcard” and press home.
  • Use the volume controls to locate & select the zip file that you copied to the root & use HOME to execute it.
  • Select “Yes”
  • When the GTab finishes with the installation, it will report “Install from sdcard complete.”

11. Press the back button to get to the main menu & press HOME to “reboot system now *

IMPORTANT! If you select “reboot recovery” you may get stuck in a loop of constantly rebooting into CWM!! If you DO get stuck in the CWM loop,  see this thread on XDA: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1264507

• NOTE: It will take from 4 to 7 minutes for the GTab to initialize and open up to the Android “Welcome” screen so BE PATIENT! Later boots take less than a minute.
  • After you log into your Google Acct, Android Market will begin restoring your apps and settings. Continue to BE PATIENT, this process can take several hours. In the mean time, your GTab will be very sluggish and sometimes even NON-responsive. Just let it do “it’s thing” until all the apps are installed. Then it might be good to reboot. After which, everything should be very responsive.

ClockworkMod 1.2branch and your new custom ROM are now installed *

Visit our “Tips for Android Users” to get started using Honeycomb.

Comments? We listen to you…

426 Responses to ClockworkMod 1.2bl & Honeycomb on GTab

1. Kevin says:

Hi Ray,

You mention “Continue ONLY if you have flashed the 1.2-4349 firmware”. Wil lthis process work if my firmware verison is 1.2-5699 or do I need to downgrade to the 4349 version?

Thanks,
    Kevin

Although I have not used that particular bootloader firmware, I am confident that ClockworkMod would work fine on it. However, some of the newer ROMs require a larger system partition than the OEM setup provides. That is the reason that we suggest using our bootloader version (installed with the NVFlash procedures.)
      You may wish to simply TRY flashing CWM and a new ROM onto your existing BL. If it works … FINE. If it does NOT (goes into a boot loop and gets stuck), then you just revert to the same NVFlash procedure to clean it up and start again. No harm and not much wasted time.

2. david says:

Ray

I was just on team DRH website and it gave me two links, one for the actual rom, and one for the gapps, and i was trying to use this guide to flash that ROM but it doesn’t explain how to flahs the gapps, can you help me out,
    Thanks
    David

All Roms, Kernels, Gapps, etc that are distributed as a zip file can normally be flashed with CWM. Use the same process for each. However, the ROM will often flash OVER the others – replacing them. Kernel & Gapps zip files can (normally) be flashed over ROMs without data loss.
      Note that KERNEL zips MUST agree with your bootloader version 1.2bl must be created for 1.2.
      Gapps come in several varieties – based on the type of device.
      To be safe, use everything from the same source; E.g., from FB team, DRH, etc.

• david says:

Sorry to keep bothering you, last question
        do i need to go back to stock, I am using gtabcomb right now, or should i just go for it.
        Thanks
        David

3. Stuart says:

Help, Ray!

Flashing NV and Steps 1 through 5 on this page went exactly as described. But at Step 6, the gTab does not come up. Nothing on the screen at all. Neither will it come to life if I just hold the power key alone. It seems to be stuck in APX mode because all I can do is reconnect the USB and then rerun nvflash_gtablet.bat. Then the gTab will boot up again to Tap-n-tap. But if I power down and try to power back up…nothing! I have tried this using gtab.cwm.3028.1.2.branch.rev5.rar from both your site and http://www.mediafire.com/?2flqn8b10ebcq44.

Any ideas what I am overlooking? Thanks a bunch!

You are definitely in the APX mode.

Are you holding the Volume Plus button and Power button? There are two different modes: Power & Vol minus = APX (blank screen) mode. Power & Vol PLUS = recovery mode (either stock or CWM).

Hold the Volume PLUS button and then press the POWER button. When the 3 birds appear, release the power but continue holding the PLUS button until you see the line of text in the upper left corner. Then release the plus button and it should boot into recovery.

If it does not, then you must repeat the NVFlash until it does. Or, just stick with the stock Tap-n-Tap (spit)interface!

• Stuart says:

Hi Ray, yes, I am holding Vol+ and Power, and I get nothing. Nor will it power up at all. Stuck in APX mode, it seems. I have repeated the NVFlash dozens of times now on both Windows and Ubuntu because after powering down, NVFlash is the only way to get get it powered up now. I think this may be the same symptom that Mark Cagle and Sheng report over on your NVFlash for Dummies page. Volume keys works fine after it boots to the Tap UI, so it’s not a hardware problem. Whaddya think? Something borked up in the partition resizing during the NV flash? I”m trying to read now to figure out how to get it back to an absolute stock condition — do you think that’s the next step? Not too convenient to have a tablet that can either never be powered down, or else it has to be connected to a PC to turn it on again!

Thanks,
        Stuart

I am sorry but I cannot help.
          My GTab appears to be down for the count. It is stuck in APX mode w/o ANY way to get it to real ops. I have been doing some extensive study and testing but nothing so far. I had to put it aside since I have not done much of anything else for the past week. Be sure that I will report it if I find the solution.

4. Don says:

Hello. It seems like I am having problems with the most basic stuff on my Gtab. My problem is the files I am putting on the tablet don’t seem to actually be there. For instance I flashed the 1.2bl flash successfully via NVFLASH from the for dummies page. The next step is to put the clockwork files on the root and shutdown and come up in recovery mode. It just stays blue. When I hook the tablet back up to the computer the files are gone. I have also made it farther before and when I pit the custom rom (.zip) file on the tablet via clockwork then try to run zip from SD card the file is not there.

Do you have any ideas on what I am doing wrong or what I should do?

Best guess of your problem: You have an EXTERNAL SDCard in the device and you are getting them mixed up. That is why I STRONGLY RECOMMEND that everyone just REMOVE any external cards entirely.

CWM consists of a folder (with its files) and an update.zip file. If both are on the root of the INTERNAL SD Card (zip file NOT in the folder), then when you power off and power back on again, it should install the CWM recovery image.

CWM is not absolutely essential. It is easier to use than the stock recovery and it has some additional functions. However, you can install a custom rom with the stock recovery also. Just RENAME the custom rom to update.zip and place that zipped file on the root of the internal SDCard. Reboot and it should be flashed.

If not, just use the stock recovery like you would CWM – only use the POWER button to select an item. Use the volume keys to select FLASH UPATE.ZIP and then press the power button. It should take you to another screen requiring you to move to the “YES” and hit the power button again. Then it will flash the custom ROM. You can add CWM later if you want.

5. Don says:

Do you have any ideas on what I am doing wrong or what I should do?

6. Mike says:

Ray thanks it worked! I’m up and running. Thanks again!

7. Mike says:

I got to step 10 and now my computer doesn’t recognize the viewsonic any more. What do I do? I’m running Win 7 home ed.

If you got that far, you should not have any problems. Just turn both the GTab and your computer off. Then after a couple minutes, turn both back on and connect the USB cable.
      The GTab should boot into CWM. (As long as you can boot into CWM, you are good.) In CWM, select Mount / Mount USB. Then your computer should recognize it and you can transfer the ROM file and continue.
      Best wishes.

8. Ray Waldo says:

For anyone having trouble getting ClockWorkMod working on their GTab… Please read the ENTIRE ARTICLE – including the first few lines where I strongly encourage everyone to NVFlash with our “NVFlash for Dummies” guide.
    If you have NOT done this and you are having problems, then please follow THAT advice before trying anything else. It *IS* important!

• Tyler says:

Ray,

Thanks for the assistance. I wound up going to gtablet for dummies and they have a nvflash rom with the clockwork mod in it so it gets rid of one step. I am happy to say I have the tablet up running flashback 10.3 and I am very pleased.

There is a link on the page for the nvflash with cw mod. After I did that I followed their guide on updating the mod and voila.

Thanks for all your help.

Tyler

Hey Tyler – Thanks for stopping by and giving the update. I am happy that you found a fix for your problem.

Each of us is unique and our needs & desires are different. If everyone was just like me, they would all want my wife! ;-)

Each website caters to different people. I will leave your link online and perhaps someone else may find it helpful.

Come back and see us again soon…

9. Tyler says:

Please post the link it is not in your previous post.

Sorry to be a pain.

Tyler

• Tyler says:

Never mind I got it.

Back to work.

Tyler

• Tyler says:

Ok here is some of the recovery log file. Maybe this will help shed some light on what needs to be done.

I:Boot command:
      E:Can’t mount /dev/block/mmcblk2
      (No such file or directory)
      E:Can’t mount SDCARD2:recovery/command
      Command: “/sbin/recovery”

ro.secure=1
      ro.allow.mock.location=0
      ro.debuggable=0
      persist.service.adb.enable=0
      ro.build.id=FRF91
      ro.build.display.id=FRF91
      ro.build.version.incremental=hudson-20110325-2032_4349
      ro.build.version.sdk=8
      ro.build.version.codename=REL
      ro.build.version.release=2.2

I can send you the file if you would like to look at the rest.

Tyler

Sorry, I don’t troubleshoot from that file. The steps in the guide just WORK (when followed closely). I have had a couple dozen people DONATE as a result of the guides here. Realizing that probably 99% of the people who have a positive result will actually donate, that means a LOT of people have used these guides and had a positive result.
        Look at the comments here, only a RARE individual has has a problem and then later found the solution was to repeat the procedures. And, in those cases, I am pretty certain that they found the answer but were somehow embarrassed to admit that they had overlooked a step.
        One user recently, gave up and sent their GTab to me to have it fixed. I followed these guides (I don’t do it enough to memorize everything) and in about an hour had his GTab working great. He even posted a POSITIVE review of my work.
        I would like to sit down with you and walk you through each step and explain the process but that is not possible. The best advice I can give you is to repeat the entire process until it works. One caveat – Windows is a bit weird in how it requires unique drivers for USB devices. You may have a WINDOWS problem. Try the entire procedure on a DIFFERENT Windows machine. If you read my review of the Kindle Fire, you will see that *I* had that problem with it. I don’t normally do Windows (I use Ubuntu Linux exclusively) but for the Fire, there was no other comparable utility – so I tried Windows — and I had a problem. The result was that I had to go to a different Windows computer to complete the work.
        Best Wishes and Happy New Year. Remember, if all else fails, you can send the GTab to me and I will fix it. Leave a private comment on the CONTACT page if you wish to do this.

There was no link because my replies are often done on my GTab and popping over to get a link and then posting it back on a comment is a bit more difficult. Also, if the link is already on the page, it seems a bit redundant.
      I assume that users can recognize links on words in the text (such as the word “here” and the link attached to it.
      If you are not familiar with this, look closely at the article above (or any other website) and the links usually are a different color than the rest of the text (on some sites, they are underlined). Also, if you mouse over a link, the pointer changes (in my case, from an arrow to a hand with a finger pointing to the link). If you click there, the link will send your browser to the linked address. This is standard practice on the web.