NVFlash for Dummies

OLD ARTICLE – Probably has errors *

Installing ClockworkMod Touch & Stock Bootloader (1.2) *

This guide was last updated 07/03/2012 by Ray

Visit the NEW version of this guide if you want to install Jelly Bean (Android 4.1) on the GTab.

See my video instructions at the bottom of this article.

ClockworkMod Touch

NEW ClockworkMod Touch on gTab

Introduction: *

The NVFlash tool (program) is the PRIMARY Starting Point for any major changes or software fixes to your GTab. If you are having ANY problems with your ViewSonic G-Tablet, this is THE guide to follow.

NVFlash – also called “APX mode” can be used for several essential functions. Regardless of your previous configuration, by using this guide, you should be able to perform the following operations:

• Regain control of your GTab after it is “bricked” or otherwise unresponsive (stuck in a loop at the “3 birds” or some other screen, etc). See Note1 (below) if you continue to experience loops even after flashing with this version of NVFlash.
  • Increase the size of the system partition from 200Meg (stock) to 250Meg (this may explain some failed ROM flashes.)

Note1: Some of the newer ICS ROMs may be too large for your gTab even with a 250MB system partition (due to hardware issues on SOME gTabs). If you experience consistent boot loops when flashing a new ICS ROM to your gTab… TeamDRH has created another version of their great NVFlash package that will expand the system partition to 300MB. I do not recommend that you use it unless you are having problems. Still, click HERE to download that package. Use is exactly the same as the one we link below.

• Return your GTab to a STOCK configuration with the 1.2-4349 Tap-n-Tap. (Recovery is NOT stock.)
  • Change the bootloader version on your GTab from (old) 1.1bl to (new) 1.2bl. Note here that – for current ICS ROMs – the bootloader version is NOT significant. You can use new ICS ROMs on either bl. BUT, the system partition must still be expanded. So, we recommend that you use our 250MB NVFlash which will also convert to 1.2bl.

WARNING:

• This process will likely void your warranty.
  • Assume that EVERYTHING on the GTab will be erased or deleted. However, that is not entirely true. NVFlash cannot erase anything on the SDCard (see this post). STILL, anything can happen.
  • Any use of this guide (or anything on this website) is done SOLELY AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Neither Ray Waldo, this website, its owners, or operators take any responsibility for your actions related to the use of any article/guide on this site. You have been warned.

DOWNLOAD OUR FILES. Even if you have used NVFlash before and already have it installed on your computer,  USE OUR VERSION instead:

DOWNLOAD: NVFlash with Stock ROM & CWMR Touch 5504  at the TeamDRH site here (or from us here.) This archive includes all the files that you will need (for both Windows & Linux) to install NVFlash and complete this guide. This guide will install both the Stock T-n-T operating system and the ClockWorkMod Recovery.

————————- *

Using NVFlash: *

Note: There are two modes of operation controlled by booting with the volume buttons:

• You get into APX mode by pressing the power and MINUS button. The gTab will flash on then go black. When in that mode, the GTab appears dead but will respond to commands from the attached computer – using NVFlash. If you mistakenly get into APX mode, just hold the power button down for about 30 secs to power off and exit the APX mode.
  • You get into RECOVERY mode by pressing the power and PLUS button. When in that mode, the GTab has a menu of options to allow you to flash an update, reset to factory, etc. No USB connection or computer is needed to use Recovery. To get out of Recovery mode, always click on the “Reboot to SYSTEM.”

Prerequisites: *

If you have already successfully used this (NEW) guide, then you can skip to the PROCESS section.

1. Backup any data on the GTab that you wish to save and copy it to some external storage. These procedures potentially delete everything on your GTab.
  2. Charge the battery to at least 70%. It is also a good idea to leave the power cable connected during these operations.
  3. Power off the GTab & remove your external SDCard (if you have one in the device).
  4. Download the NVFlash file from above.
  5. Extract the archive and rename the extracted folder to nvflash.
  6. LINUX ONLY:  You must make the nvflash file executable – Open the nvflash folder; right-click on the nvflash file; Properties; Permissions tab; Tic the box to run the file as a program. Then - Skip to the “PROCESS” steps below.
  7. WINDOWS ONLY:  INSTALL the APX drivers located in the “Flash USB driver” folder.
  • On the GTab, hold the Volume minus (“-“) button AND the power button until the GTab comes on and then goes BLACK (this is the APX mode
  • CONNECT the USB cable between the GTab and your computer.
  • When the gTablet is detected by Windows, and you are prompted for drivers, point the wizard to the ‘Flash USB Driver’ folder (inside the new “nvflash” folder.
  • The driver install should complete normally and you will hear an audible connection sound.
  • Power off gTablet by pressing the Power button for ~5 seconds.

Process: *

Do not connect the USB cable to the GTab unless instructed to do so. Also, be sure to DISCONNECT the USB cable when the guide says to do so.

1. WINDOWS ONLY: If you have not installed the APX/USB drivers, then go back to the “PREREQUISITES.” Step and complete this step first.
  2. On the GTab, hold the Volume minus (“-“) button AND the power button until the GTab comes on and then goes BLACK (this is the APX mode).
  3. Connect the USB cable between the GTab and your computer. (If you continued from the previous section, the cable may already be connected.)
  4. On your computer, open a COMMAND PROMPT (or terminal), CD (change directory) to the nvflash folder & run the NVFlash program: Windows users, run the nvflash_gtablet.bat —  Linux users, enter the command, “sudo sh ./nvflash_gtablet.sh (without the quotes. – note the space after the “sh” and before the “./nvflash” characters.)
  5. Wait. The NVFlash tool will only take about two minutes to complete. Do not proceed until it reports that it is finished.
  6. Turn the GTab off by holding the power button until the line of text at the top of the screen disappears.
  7. Remove the USB cable (You are finished with the computer. Everything else is on the gTab.)

Partition the SDCard *

From user Steve T.: The new CWM uses different navigation buttons than the previous version and now even has soft buttons at the bottom of the screen which makes it much nicer. The big difference I saw was that the ‘home’ button on the right side is now the UP arrow and the ‘menu’ button below the ‘home’ button is now the DOWN arrow. I think the select button is now the ‘search’ (magnifying glass) button.

1. On the GTab, start ClockWorkMod (CWM) RECOVERY: Hold the power and volume plus (“+”) buttons until the “recovery key detected” text appears at the top of the screen.
  2. Select “advanced” and press the Home/Enter button (arrow on the right side of the screen).
  3. Select “Partition Internal SD Card” and press Home.
  4. Select “4096M” and press Home – then select “0M” and press Home again. The GTab will report that it is “Partitioning Internal SD Card.” Do not touch the device until it reports “Done!” at the bottom of the screen.
  5. Repeat steps 3 & 4 but select “2048M” & “0M” (rather than 4096M & 0M).
  6. Select “+++Go Back+++” and press Home.
  7. Select “power off” and press Home.

Reboot into Stock *

At this point, you will have the stock Tap-n-Tap operating system installed. It is a good idea to fully boot into T-N-T and assure that it is working before proceeding to flash a new ROM.

If you wish to flash a new custom operating system, here is our list of viable candidates: ROMs for the GTab *

Video Instructions for NVFlash & Installing ICS

———————————————–

To determine if your device has the LARGER system partition… *

(if you did this NVFlash, then it DOES.)

To check the size of your SYSTEM partition, open the Terminal Emulator app (free on Play Store), enter “df” (without quotes). The “Filesystem” area is at the top of the list (either turn the GTab to portrait mode or scroll up to view the top of the list). Check the line that ends “/system”.

My device (with 250meg system) reads:           /dev/block/mtdblock3 253696 216480 37216 85% /system

If your device shows something around 200000 instead of the 253696, then you probably have the smaller (200meg) system partition.

———————————————–

TELL US about your experience in the comments below.

———————————————–

Tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

266 Responses to NVFlash for Dummies

1. Brian Cst says:

Hi Ray , excuse me for my English , i ´m not that good in this lenguage , but i really need your help or at least an advice from you . I have read all the posts here in raywaldo (dot) com about G Tablet and xda developer apge too , but nothing seems to be helping me , here is my problem : I have a G Tablet Bricked (?) for about 2 years . i cannot get in the rom itself , i just see the 3 birds , and the recovery mode dont work stays in “recovery key detected” “booting recovery kernel image” … I do a NVflash in many ways , with the 1.1 and the 1.2 , i test others CWM but nothing happend .
    The only thing that works now is de APX mode , but i cant do anything more , because i dont have access to recovery mode, i hope you cant tell me something and give me some hope really.

I also format without luck the partition 9 with the name ” SOS” ,that supose to be de partition where the recovery is.

Sorry again for my bad English , but i trust that you cant help me.

Thanks.

• ray says:

I am sorry but I have not owned a G-Tablet for a long time and I don’t recall all the details. The best I can offer is contained in the related articles. Start with a different NVFlash. Look at my “New Life for the G-Tablet” article to see the newest material that I have.

2. edward says:

no tienes por ningun lado los archivos descargables amigo tienes un testamento de explicacion y en ningun lado se pueden descargar los archivos o es que estoy ciego ?????????? verifica eso

The official (and ONLY acceptable) language of this site is English. I do not respond to comments in other languages. Sorry.

3. Dear Ray Waldo: I am a pastor and have the Viewsonic G Tablet (android 2.2) 10.1 screen. I followed you on your YouTube video to install the Jelly Bean operating system (Team DRH-JB-Alpha-3.5.zip). With the old Tap N Touch system, my tablet kept crashing. I use my tablet primarily to preach from my sermon notes on an external sd-card. I did this Team DRH install for the second time. Once yesterday, and then I just finish (1:20 pm Central Standard Time). One reason I repeated the install was because I could not get the system to recognize my external sd-card. Also, I couldn’t find a free program to read my sermons saved in Word.doc format. I did have a QuickOffice Pro program, but cannot find the install or if it’s available any more. I didn’t want to pay for another download just now. Anyway, if you have any (after the install) suggestions to help my tablet operate more efficiently (using it more than just a tool for preaching from), but for scheduling, bible apps, email and more. Sorry for the long communication, but I do want my tablet to be a complete tool for the gospel. Thank you so much, Dr. Bill Hanshew

Hey Bill. Thanks for stopping by. Sorry that I have been a bit slow in responding. I have a lot going on right now.

My best advice is to upgrade to the Nexus 7 (or 10 if you really need the larger screen). I did that when the Nexus 7 came out about 18 months ago and I have never been sorry. I use it more than I use my computer now. And, the first generation (what I have) is often priced around $130. It will provide all the functions you wish – and a world more.

If the expense is too great and you still want to work with the GTab, I defer to user Chris Benson. He is now the resident expert here. I no longer have the device and it is difficult to diagnose things from memory (at my age – I will be 70 in a few months).

I can tell you that Google bought out Quick Office and it is now FREE on the Play Store. You already have used it and know that it will read/write in Word format.

Since I am retired, I don’t do a lot of offline writing anymore. I do everything on the cloud and then it is available with any device I pick up. Try saving your files to Google Drive. Then you can read / write them while online or download them directly to a device that may go offline (while you are preaching, etc). It will bypass the need for a portable disk.

I do recall that some ROMs had trouble with external drives. There were work-arounds but if I don’t have it written in one of the articles, I could not help you.

Be sure to read the NEWEST article (“New Life for the GTab“) to get the best ROM and the best response from your device.

• Thank you Ray, you are a blessing. I just want to get the most out of my gtab until I can get something better.
        Thanks again.

Thanks. All God’s best to you and your ministry!

• Hi Ray. I have discovered that the Team DRH-JB-Alpha-3.5 that I have downloaded to my viewsonic g tablet is causing it to run very slow. At times, non responsive. I wonder if another os with lower resolution would be better. I don’t mind the Team DRH JB, but it’s not working for me. Any suggestions?

Visit link above to the “New Life for the GTab” article. It has the latest links that I have.
            Team DRH was about the last developer to support the GTab and now they have dropped support. It is very old (as these things go) and support is almost gone.

• Ray, just one more question. I read your article, “New Life for the G Tab” and I may have missed something. Can I change the partition size, without wiping out everything I’ve already installed?
            Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions.
            Pastor Bill

Not that I am aware of. You must run NVFlash – which does erase everything.
            It has been so long that I don’t remember exactly but you may be able to do a backup using CWM and then restore it AFTER the NVFlash. I am not certain if it works that way or not but you could try.
            Actually the restoration is not that difficult. I usually just started fresh each time (which has many benefits.)

• Hi Ray… I contacted the viewsonic g tablet tech support and they say that the Vegan Beta 5.1 is what works best on the g tablet. Your thoughts? I can’t get it to work so I confused. Do you offer any help?
            Thanks, You’re a blessing to put up with all these questions.
            Pastor Bill

Sorry to be slow in responding.
            They may be correct about Vegan, in the sense of what causes the fewest hangups & conflicts. But it is slower and has fewer features than the newer ROMs. The choice is yours.

4. kerry lawley says:

I have a bricked G tab with a corrupt boot loader that WILL NOT go into APX mode. Any suggestions on how I can reflash it using nvflash or anything else? its stuck at “Booting recovery kernel image” and wont go anywhere else.

5. Daniel says:

This step-by-step process helped out wonderfully and i was able to reset my G tablet, but when i reset the tablet (say for an update) or turn it off in general I cannot continue onto the stock operating system; instead i can only navigate the blue and black menu that is shown in the video. Did I do something wrong?

Your comments are unclear but it sounds like you do not have an operating system (Android ROM) installed.
      I am not certain what you want to accomplish but I suggest that you follow the instructions at the top of this page and visit http://bishoptec.com/2012/09/jelly-bean-on-the-gtab/ to install Jelly Bean operating system.

• Daniel says:

I simply want to restore my g tablet to its original stock condition, which I did, but whenever I power off my tablet I cannot return to the stock home screen with all of the apps. The only thing I can do is maneuver around the nvflash menu with the four buttons return, up, down, and enter. If I do not have an Android ROM what can I do?

I don’t believe that the current nvflash download includes a rom (operating system) of any kind. The assumption is that you will never want the old stock os. You can use the link to my “new life…” article to guide you through the process. If you really want to return to stock, the process is still the same. Download your choice of rom and install it using my new guide.

• dgstan says:

Wait. Your guide says this process flashes the stock ROM.

“At this point, you will have the stock Tap-n-Tap operating system installed.”

I am sorry but I have not owned a GTab in a long time and I have not kept up with the development for the device. I do not know the content of the downloads – whether it contains the stock rom or not. My advice is to check the support pages for the downloads (most are XDA pages).

6. Ray_River says:

Hi, I am a new user and I fallow the Video Instructions for NVFlash and my gTablet will not turn on. I don’t know what I did wrong but like I mention before I am a newbie. Can you help me?

Did you follow the guide above? At what point in the guide did something go wrong and you didn’t get the expected result?
      1. APX mode appears as a blank, unresponsive device. That is normal. Just continue and when you run the nvflash program on your computer you should see a response – described in the article.
      2. If that doesn’t work, start over. Nvflash is the fix – not the problem.
      3. If you still have problems, recheck the windows driver install. Windows is very particular about usb drivers. Use a different computer and start fresh.
      4. Use a Linux computer – it does not have issues with USB drivers.

• Raymond says:

Right now I have the gtablet connected to another computer and finished the NVFlash on the command window. Power off gtablet, close command window and tried to power on the gtablet and nothing happen.

• Raymond says:

I don’t know if there are any prerequisites before starting all of this, remember this the first time that I flashed my gtablet.

• Raymond says:

This are the steps that I competed:
            1.WINDOWS ONLY: If you have not installed the APX/USB drivers, then go back to the “PREREQUISITES.” Step and complete this step first.
            2.On the GTab, hold the Volume minus (“-”) button AND the power button until the GTab comes on and then goes BLACK (this is the APX mode).
            3.Connect the USB cable between the GTab and your computer. (If you continued from the previous section, the cable may already be connected.)
            4.On your computer, open a COMMAND PROMPT (or terminal), CD (change directory) to the nvflash folder & run the NVFlash program: Windows users, run the nvflash_gtablet.bat. Here I get on GTab line that state “Entering NvFlash recovery mode /Nv3p Server”
            5.Wait. The NVFlash tool will only take about two minutes to complete. Do not proceed until it reports that it is finished.
            6.Turn the GTab off by holding the power button until the line of text at the top of the screen disappears.
            7.Remove the USB cable (You are finished with the computer. Everything else is on the gTab.)
            8.HERE IS WHEN EVERYTHING STOPPED WORKING. I can’t get the GTab to start ClockWorkMod (CWM) RECOVERY when I hold the power and volume plus (“+”) buttons

I hope that this information will give a better picture of what I have done.

• Raymond says:

A little more info, I can run APX successfully and finished NVFlash, but when I try to power on and (+) I can heard the GTab connect to the PC but the GTab screen stay blank

As stated at the start of this article, this is an OLD version.
            That version should work for you. Leave a comment on that page to let us know what happened.

• Raymond says:

Tried the Jelly Bean on the gtab and it didn’t work. NVFlash installation completed. gTab is not starting ClockWorkMod (CWM) RECOVERY. I can heard gTab connect to my PC but gTab is not turning on “blank screen”

• Raymond says:

After trying multiple times and different things now I am getting a NvError 0x30012 when trying to install NVFlash. I give up! :(

7. John Dumas says:

Hi Ray…

If you or anyone else here could offer any tips or advice, I would appreciate it.

I opened my gTab up to resolder the charge port and all went well. I am a meticulous person. I even take pictures, go slow and do not make dumb mistakes. But… somewhere I did make a mistake, I guess.

Charge port connector works fine now. Wiggle the charge cable and no interruption or blinking on the indicator light.

But… after putting the motherboard back in and testing it, It sticks at the birds. Thought SOMEHOW
    I must have bricked it because the charge port repair went perfectly. All connectors snugly in their place and oriented correctly.

I have VeganTab 7.0 and the older CWM on it. )or rather I did) So I tried to redo a new rom, booting into CWM. It boots to the two lines it always has, I forget what they say. I’m sure you already know.

But, it did not go any further than that.

So I decided to try your NVFlasher method.

Wow… went right into APX mode (I did not expect it to) and the bat file seemed to finish correctly and successfully.

When I tried to boot into the newer CWM that’s in your package, I still see the older one come up and it sticks there as it did before.

I tried rewriting your files but got the same results.

You or anyone here have any ideas or is all lost?

John Dumas

I did the same thing with my first gtab. The jack is a known issue. Unfortunately, I was never able to get it working again. Probably trashed an essential part of the memory.
      Best advice : Get a 1st gen Nexus 7. They are available for just over $100 now. You will be happy.

8. Jon Scheinman says:

Thanks for responding. My ViewsonicG worked on VegTab for 2 years, then on ICS 4.05 for 3 months. During a trip, somehow it bricked (possibly USB attached when asleep). No response to anything. I opened, made DRH in back, attached to PC, installed Nvidia software from TeamDRH_350M_Prep.zip , Batch file ran: Nvidia NVFlash_gTablet.bat. Repartitioned to 350 & Flashed CWM10, which went through, but then Power/Vol+ gave only white screen, no CWM. I repeated, after pushing reset through the DRH, with your NVFlash with Stock ROM & CWMR Touch 5504. same story. Repartitioned, finished, closed down, Still Power/Vo+ gives only a white screen. Am I missing something?

Sorry Jon, I haven’t worked with a gtab in several months and I don’t remember the odd issues. I tried to make the guides pretty much “goof-proof” so my suggestion is to use them.
      Start fresh (as if you had never seen the device before) at the “New life for Gtab” article. Follow it exactly and do not skip any steps. You will be tempted to say, “I have already tried this..” but do it anyway. There may be some sequence of things that you may failed to accomplish at the correct time. Just do it.

• Buster Hymen says:

thank you for writing the ONLY readable how-to on this niche topic. So many people who write tutorials are terrible at organizing information and presenting it in an easy to understand method!

• Jon Scheinman says:

Ray, it turned out to be the issue of disconnected screen, often fixed by “hitting it” on the corner. I had to open, and plug the leads back in. Now fine. Jon

9. Jim says:

First off, this is a great guide. Unfortunately, it didn’t work for me, and no matter what searches I do, I can’t quite find anything to help me. I recently had issues with the whole power connection on the gTablet. That is now resolved, and the gTablet charges up, no issues. However, during the down time, something bad happened software-wise. If I try to boot up normally, the gTab gets through “the birds”, and stays stuck at the load screen for CyanogenMod, which must have been the last ROM I put on it before my power issues started. If I try and do a “Power and Volume +” boot, the gTab stays at “the birds” screen, stuck with the text “Recovery key detected, Booting recovery kernel image”. It never gets into ClockWork Mod, which was installed on this previously.

The only thing I am trying to do is to start over – wipe everything out, and give me a ClockWork Mod menu to work with. I have tried various versions of NVFlash, I have tried using the actual reset button on the inside of the tablet, and nothing has changed anything.

When I run your process, this is what shows up in my Linux terminal:
    sudo ./nvflash_gtablet.sh
    [sudo] password for jrglynn2:
    Flashing G Tablet with base images…

Done!

Unfortunately, my gTab never reboots, even waiting an hour. When I manually shut the gTab down and start it up, the old problems are there.

Do you have any suggestions? Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

Actually I don’t have a gtab any more. I have given them all away. And I don’t recall the process exactly.
      Also, you seem to be describing conflicting symptoms.
      First, it sounds like an issue with starting the apx mode, correct? If so then you need to retry the key sequence until it works.
      Second, I believe that you now have to install cwm as a separate action. If there is no recovery installed then you would remain stuck on the screen you mentioned.
      Check back and let me know how it goes.

• Jim says:

Thank you for the response. I actually figured it out…

I could get into APX mode, but it seemed like NVFLASH wasn’t doing anything at all. So today I decided to go through everything one more time, so I could document step-by-step for you what I did. Turns out, while I was changing the nvflash file to executable, I noticed the “!Linux Readme First.txt” file in the directory. I opened it up, and right there at the top it says:
        “NOTE: Users with 64bit distributions may need to install 32bit C++ files to run NVFlash. At terminal run ‘sudo apt-get install lib32stdc++6′”

I ran that, and then went through your process, and voila, it worked!

Thank you for your help, this guide was excellent, and I am so happy I can now play again (and brick it again LOL)

Thanks!

–Jim

10. Joe Harrison says:

Ray – thanks for this info – I’ve run my gtab on vegan ginger for about 2 years – not used it much tho. When I decided to upgrade, I tried ICS – I guess you would say it soft-bricked, because I can run APX successfully, but it will not boot into recovery. So I followed your links and reflashed to full stock TNT. Again, everything seems to complete successfully, but when I try to boot into recovery by holding volume up and clicking power – it comes on & the pc sees it in device mgr, but the gtab screen stays blank. Several attempts at this over 3 days & no luck! Any ideas why it gives me blank screen when trying to boot into recovery? thanks JH

11. yzf1kguy@yahoo.com says:

Ray,
    Thank you for a wonderful site. I have had my Gtab a couple of years now and tried all of the mods out there. I used your latest Nvflash to restore it back to stock. The process worked flawlessly. There is a update to the stock 1.2 making it a 1.2.5699. When i tried doing this the Gtab kept booting up to the CWM menu. I did the Nvflash again to start fresh tried applying the update and again the Gtab keeps booting into Recovery mode CWM. Any ideas of what i can try here wol be very appreciated.

Leroy

Probably the NEW nvflash is not compatible with the update (partition sizes are changed.) That is not a problem for most folks since they are trying to remove the old os.
      Only solution may be to search for an old version of nvflash.

• Leroy says:

I will give it a try if it does not work that will be fine I prefer the version of CWM and nvflash you have here the procedure is so much better than the older version. Thank you for your fast response.

12. Janet says:

I tried chmod ug=rwx-r,o=r Desktop/nvflash/nvflash but it still says cannot execute binary file. Thia also just change privilege from read and write to write only (drop box). Below is a copy of what i tried doing and still unable to execute file

Last login: Thu Mar 3 10:53:18 on console
    jan-bs-macbook:~ janb$ chmod ug=rwx-r,o=r Desktop/nvflash/nvflash
    jan-bs-macbook:~ janb$ cd /Users/janb/Desktop/nvflash
    jan-bs-macbook:nvflash janb$ sudo sh ./nvflash_gtablet.sh
    Password:
    Flashing G Tablet with modified 1.2 4349 base image…
    ./nvflash: ./nvflash: cannot execute binary file

Done! Please power off gTab by holding power button and close terminal session
    jan-bs-macbook:nvflash janb$

I don’t use a Mac (or anything with the Apple name on it) but the problem is not with r/w. It is the EXECUTE property that you need to change. I am not up on the syntax but I believe that it is the x portion of the chmod command. In Ubuntu, it is all done via the graphic interface so I don’t recall the terminal commands.
      Alternately, Do you have the Windows emulator for Mac? If so, just run the Windows version in that. Or, try it on a friend’s Win box. I don’t believe that the Mac/Linux version of NVFlash is kept updated.

13. Janet says:

I tried to reset to factory settings because gtablet was not working or letting me download apps. I clicked restore on gtablet and some how ended up at the clockworkmod recovery screen with drop menu -reboot system now -apply sdcard;update.zip …. etc. i clicked factory reset and ever since im stuck in this screen gtablet wont work …..will NVFLASH help me ???

• Janet says:

stuck in the clockworkmod recovery screen, i see the 3 birds then back to clockworkmod recovery screen

The (settings/menu) “reset to factory” is flakey on a lot of devices/ROMs. When anyone speaks of a rooted device and says to “Reset to Factory” they are talking about the option in your recovery program (CWM or TWRP).

The only easy answer to ANY GTab problem is: Start over with NVFlash. It is not difficult (after the first time) and it will clean up almost any issue.

• Janet says:

thanks :) … im having trouble with nvflash number 6 of the prerequisties , im using a mac os x version 10.5.8 so im following the linux instructions but my laptop does not have properties section when i right click nvflash in the nvflash so im unable to get it to execute, i skip that step and the terminal tells be file is not executable but im not sure how to do that on my laptop.

14. Victoria says:

Well, I’m confused because I downloaded the files from this site, twice actually on two different laptops. In my gtab under setting> About> it says 1.0. Is there somewhere else to check? I don’t have it here with me at work to give exact numbers. This is really bugging me. My OCD is maybe gonna freak out over this! LOL! I will try the Smoother Bean install when I get home and see how that goes, hopefully it will all work and then I can get on with enjoying my gtab!

If you use the NVFlash that is linked with the articles, you will get the right stuff. I don’t recall whether I actually checked the bootloader version when I did this.
      Remember the ad, “Just do it!” :-)

15. Victoria says:

Mr. Ray! I have read many of your tutorials and they are first class! I never have any trouble following them. My gtab was one that came with 1.0 bootloader. I have had it for about a year and half and have rooted and rom’d several times over. Lately I wanted to return to stock and allow all the OTA updates to happen. I know, stupid of me but I am tired of never having a stable system, there is always something glitchy or not working right. I thought going back to stock and doing the OTA updates might be more stable. Well that passed, sort of like gas you know, as of this morning I plan to go back to JB. Um… I made this decision after 10 minutes last night of messing around with the stock rom… OMG… I was ready to poke out my eyes and throw my gtab against the wall. Ok, now I’m getting to my point. As I said, my gtab came with the 1.1bl and about a year ago I upgraded it to the 1.2bl. Have installed a few different ICS versions and most recently JB. Well, after this whole stock rom debaucle, I found that my bl is back to 1.1, actually it says 1.0. I used the steps and files from the NVFlash for dummies article on this page. Shouldn’t it have upgraded the bl to 1.2, thats what it says it will do. Now I’m not sure if I need to find some way to get back to 1.2bl or just leave it alone and nvflash using the suggested file for the smoother bean rom that was updated 2/5/13. If I’m going with JB does the bl matter so much? I have read so many articles that it’s all running together in my head. Direction would be most appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Victoria

All of the nvflash files on this site (unless it specifically states otherwise) result in bl 1.2. However, it is my understanding that jb roms will work on either bl.